Sunday 3 August 2008

Inheritance?

I'm having a bloggy afternoon and stumbled upon this post which poses an interesting question:

What trait do you think you have inherited that you really would rather not have inherited? And what do you wish you had inherited too?


My unwanted inheritance comes from my paternal grandmother. My Gran had an amazing ability not to notice dirt, clutter, chaos and a really quite unpleasant home. Every six months or so my grandfather would lock her out of the kitchen while he cleaned it up. When I was a baby, my mother used to take her own teaspoon with which to feed me tinned babyfood if we were eating at Gran's. That's how bad it was. In fact, it was so bad that even I who have inherited my Gran's 'gift' noticed that her house was just not a nice place to be.

The gift has been diluted in me by my mother's perfectionism when it comes to housekeeping. So my place isn't actually squalid, it just leaves a lot to be desired. But I genuinely rarely notice the chaos. And dust? Ha! We happily co-exist while my feather-duster languishes in a cupboard. So the trait I wish I'd inherited more of is my mother's skill as a homemaker. I don't envy her her total perfectionism - I've seen my mother finally disintegrate into tears at midnight because she's been cleaning all day and things still aren't as she'd like them - but surely there must be a position of balance?

No comments:

Hits since 31st July 2008