Wednesday 6 August 2008

Is There a Purpose?

Candy has asked some interesting questions about blogging. And, as I'm just getting into it again (isn't it funny how things go in cycles?) I thought it might be worthwhile to try and answer them. Candy says:

I have been thinking the last couple of days about my purpose in blogging.

Is there a purpose?

Is it to Journal?

For myself?

For Others?

Is what I'm posting pleasing to God? Others? Both? Neither?

Do I watch my words? My attitude? Do they reflect who I "really" am?


And now's the time for me to admit that I don't actually have a purpose. Well, not one I've planned, anyway. I must have a purpose, surely, or I'd be playing Tetris instead of writing to you. My purpose in writing this blog ... is to connect with other Christian women. I'm the new girl at Church which is great because I'm meeting lots of new people. But, somehow, I tend to find it easier to make friends with people on-line and *then* meet them IRL. Doing it the other way round freaks me out more than a little. I think it's cause I was bullied at school or something. Anyway. I think my purpose with this blog is primarily meeting likeminded women. I also find that I think best when I'm writing. I don't know if your teachers ever told you that essay writing is a form of learning because it forces you to use the ideas and concepts you've been learning, but I find that is very true for me. So this blog also serves to clarify my thoughts about God, life and anything else that crosses my keyboard.

Is it to journal? Yes, a little bit. Although I have another, private, blog for that.

For myself? Yes - it is *me* who wants to meet others. It is me who wants to clarify her thoughts.

For others? I'm not sure I have much to say that is of use to others. But I guess people sometimes struggle with the same issues and it's encouraging to see someone else on the path. So, if my blog is helpful to you then that's great. And maybe there is some way I'll serve the bloggy community in the future. I don't know how that might be though.

Is what I'm posting pleasing to God? Others? Both? Neither? I *think* what I'm posting is pleasing to God. I certainly haven't tried to offend Him. And some very kind women have made nice comments so I *think* my posts are pleasing to them also. It's more important to be pleasing to God though and that's something I'll keep in mind.

Do I watch my words? My attitude? Do they reflect who I "really" am? I watch my words and attitude on here a lot more than I do IRL. That's a hard truth to hear. I think this blog might reflect who I am becoming more than who I 'really' am. I don't mean that I'm sitting here typing a whole lot of lies. I'm not. But it's easy to write of the little victories rather than the major failures. And I think that's something I'm going to have to watch else I'll have the sin of pride knocking at my door. And I see him often enough as it is.

No comments:

Hits since 31st July 2008