Monday 16 March 2009

On Children


“You can do nothing with children unless you win their confidence and love by bringing them into touch with oneself, by breaking through all the hindrances that keep them at a distance. We must accommodate ourselves to their tastes, we must make ourselves like them.” — St. John Bosco


I read this quote over at Faith & Family and have my own slant on it. Look at the last phrase: "We must make ourselves like them." I assume St. John Bosco meant that we must become like children. But I read it as we must like them. Because I don't, really, if I'm being honest. But I'm trying. My cousin has two little girls now and I can be child-friendly for short periods of time. I still don't want any of my own though so it's just as well I'm single!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's different when it's your own kids :)

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Agreed -- it's definitely different when it's your own kids. I remember when I was a teenager and was babysitting, I told my Mom, "I NEVER want to have kids." She laughed and said, "It's totally different when they are your own." And, as usual, she was right. ;)

Melinda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I hope you'll come back and visit often.

I agree with your other commenters...it is definitely different when it is your own kids. I taught ice skating throughout college and got to the point of where I didn't really think I wanted kids. Now I have two and can't remember what my life was like without them. Having said that though, I am a firm believer that if you don't want kids, you shouldn't have them. Don't let anyone ever try to talk you into something like that. You'll know if and/or when you are ready. : )

Hits since 31st July 2008